65 years as a vowed member of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ
Sister Marilyn made her first profession on July 1, 1955 and her final vows on July 1, 1960.
Sister Marilyn was born in Columbia, Illinois, although her parents, Alfred and Mary Anna (Bequette) Janson soon moved to nearby Waterloo to raise their family. She received a bachelor’s degree in theology and philosophy in 1967 and a master’s degree in theology and religious education in 1975, both from Saint Louis University. She earned certificates in Emotional Intelligence in the Classroom from the Catholic Education Office in St. Louis, and Volunteer Tutoring from Laubach Literacy International in St. Louis.
Sister Marilyn’s ministry included being a teacher, catechist, director and administrator of religious education programs. She taught elementary students, also serving as organist, in several Illinois schools, namely Immaculate Conception in Columbia, St. Ann in Nashville and St. Joseph in Olney. She also taught at St. Lawrence in New Hamburg, Guardian Angel in Oran and St. Jerome in St. Louis, all in Missouri. For several years, she served as coordinator for eight small parishes in Southern Illinois. She was the Director of Religious Education at St. Mary in Belleville, Illinois, at Queen of All Saints in St. Louis and Our Lady of Lourdes in Columbia, Missouri.
She held administrative positions for religious education in the dioceses of Jefferson City, Mo., Springfield, Ill. and Columbus, Ohio.
More recently, she has been tutoring and aiding immigrants and refugees, particularly Bosnian, at the Long Community Education Center in St. Louis. She also served St. Cecilia School in St. Louis as an English tutor.
Since 2012, she has volunteered at the Affton Christian Food Pantry in St. Louis. She continues in that ministry today.