Listen to this radio spot honoring the history of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ and other religious communities in the history of St. Louis!
[thaudio href=’https://adorers.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Natl-Catholic-Sisters-Wk-Ad-3.mp3′]Nat’l Catholic Sisters Wk Ad 3[/thaudio]
Want more history?
The first Adorers of the Blood of Christ arrived in St. Louis in 1873, three years after the first Adorers arrived from Germany and settled in southern Illinois. Their first assignment was at St. Agatha Parish in the near south side of St. Louis.
About 30 Adorers remain in the greater St. Louis area.
Their earliest ministries were teaching, nursing and child care but now include parish work and assisting the homeless, former prisoners, abused women, and immigrants and refugees. They also work as missionaries around the world.
The Adorers are an international order headquartered in Rome. Their U.S. Regional office is in St. Louis with centers or former motherhouses, in Ruma, Ill., Wichita, Kan., and Columbia, Penn.
The sisters formerly owned De Mattias Hall — named for their foundress, St. Maria de Mattias — on the campus of Saint Louis University. Five of their missionary sisters were killed in Liberia in October 1992.
Learn more about where Adorers are located now and the history of the U.S. Region by clicking here!